So you’ve missed a payment or two and now you’re wondering how to improve your credit score. It’s okay, it happens to the best of us. The good news is, there are things you can do to improve your credit score even after late payments. Here are some tips:
- Get current on your payments: The first thing you need to do is get current on your payments. Late payments can have a big impact on your credit score, but the longer you go without making a payment, the worse it will get. Make a plan to catch up on any missed payments as soon as possible.
- Set up automatic payments: Late payments can be avoided by setting up automatic payments for all of your bills. This can help ensure that you always make your payments on time and avoid late fees. If you’re worried about forgetting a payment, automatic payments can be a lifesaver.
- Pay more than the minimum: When you’re trying to improve your credit score after late payments, it’s important to pay more than the minimum amount due. This will help you catch up on any missed payments and reduce your overall debt.
- Negotiate with your creditors: If you’re struggling to make your payments, you may be able to negotiate with your creditors. They may be willing to work with you on a payment plan or even reduce your interest rates. It never hurts to ask!
- Keep your credit utilization low: Your credit utilization ratio is the amount of credit you’re using compared to the amount of credit you have available. Experts recommend keeping your credit utilization ratio below 30% to maintain a good credit score. So, if you have credit card debt, try to focus on paying that down first.
Improving your credit score after late payments takes time and effort, but it’s definitely possible. Remember to stay on top of your payments, negotiate with your creditors if necessary, and keep your credit utilization low. With some dedication and patience, you’ll be on your way to a better credit score in no time!
Dovly can help you work with the credit bureaus to straighten out any inaccurate information. Dovly is a free automated credit improvement engine that can help you track, manage, and fix your credit. Try it risk-free with our free membership tier. Get in touch with Dovly today.